Thursday, March 21, 2013

Revelation

Amar-elo, by Nanda Correa

"I am Protennoia, the Thought that dwells in the Light. I am the movement that dwells in the All, she in whom the All takes its stand, the first-born among those who came to be, she who exists before the All....I am incomprehensible, dwelling in the incomprehensible. I move in every creature...

I am the real Voice. I cry out in everyone, and they recognize it (the voice), since a seed indwells them." 
    —excerpt from Trimorphic Protennoia, translated by John D. Turner

I'm fascinated by revelations. Somehow whenever revelatory in-spiration strikes, there is an element of creativity to it—playful, heretical, perhaps not the whole truth. How many revelations have been excluded from sacred scriptures because they don't quite match what religious leaders expect to hear? This creative aspect of transcendent experience is something I can't stop thinking about. To be willing to receive a revelation means to be willing to revise what is true. And if you keep revising "truth," what is true? 

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. Revelation, by its nature, explodes the present reality, either of the individual or the collective. That's why religions have strictures for both the individual and the group.

    Is all revelation heretical? Or is just the interpretation of revelation heretical?

    And is listening to revelation listening to something radically outside ourselves, or the "seed within" that Turner mentions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ask such good questions... I think the within/without nature of revelation may be part of the key that makes it so heretical. To some extent it is radically individual (group revelations like Pentecost seem rare), and yet it makes claims to be an experience of radically universal truth.

      A Jungian might try to see the universality in individual claims, and even I am tempted to see the shared human experience of revelation, but I guess I'm too much of a believer in individual uniquenesses to think that all revelation points to exactly the same thing. I like it that each revelation points to a singular pathway of knowing...

      You've certainly given me a lot to think about!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...