Thursday, November 15, 2012

Yoga Practice: Migration

Bird migration at Eddystone Lighthouse, by Charles Samuel Keene

Watching birds fly south as the seasons change, I've been noticing my own movements as life around me changes and unfolds. I'm not sure where I'm headed, but like the birds, I seem to have some internal homing sense that leads me and pulls me along to the next destination.

Here are some things that have been meaningful to my yoga practice of late:

  • Sun salutations with a pause to move back and forth between extended side-angle pose and reverse warrior pose. It feels a little bit like I'm stretching my wings and getting ready to fly.
  • Finding eagle pose, then shifting my non-standing leg forward and then back to warrior three feels a little bit like I'm taking account of my situation and then letting go to soar.
  • Taking time to do some some scissor jumping jacks with arms outstretched makes me feel little like I'm getting somewhere fast.
  • Stretching out with heron and pigeon. These poses remind me that even birds need to take a rest from traveling now and then. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...