Monday, October 10, 2011

Masks and Body Paint

The month of October and the coming Halloween holiday has me thinking about the many masks we wear in our daily interactions. How many are socially conditioned? How many of them are helpful?

And I also think about how I'm relating to other people and the masks they wear. Am I seeing them as clearly and lovingly as I can?

What if these masks were as beautiful and real as the painted faces of Surma children? Not knowing anything about Surma traditions except what I can find here and there, I am left to appreciate the beauty of their decoration and the mystery of the world that makes such beauty possible. 




(Video via Ox Herding. I believe the pictures are from Natural Fashion: Tribal Decoration from Africa, by Hans Silvester.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...