Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mindful Consumption

A recent conversation has me thinking about what I choose to consume. This blog is in part a response to a desire to consume information more mindfully on the internet. But it is easy to passively allow all sorts of degrading messages to flood into the mind via the usual outlets: television, radio, computer, and one's one inner monologue. Thus, I'm posting Thich Nhat Hahn's Fifth Mindfulness Training, to remind myself of one way to be healthier.

"The Mist," in Dreamer of Dreams, illustrated by Edmund Dulac
via Sue du Jour

"Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivate good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practising mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I am committed to ingest only items that preserve peace, well-being, and joy in my body, in my consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family and society. I am determined not to use alcohol or any other intoxicant or to ingest foods or other items that contain toxins, such as certain TV programs, magazines, books, films, and conversations. I am aware that to damage my body or my consciousness with these poisons is to betray my ancestors, my parents, my society, and future generations. I will work to transform violence, fear, anger, and confusion in myself and in society by practising a diet for myself and for society. I understand that a proper diet is crucial for self-transformation and for the transformation of society."
    —Thich Nhat Hahn, on the Five Mindfulness Trainings, via The Big View

"Dreamland," by Edmund Dulac, via Art Passions

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...